If you enjoying camping then you know why its vital to have the best generator for camping, with a genset on site you will be able to charge your phone, headlumps, laptops, watch TV e.t.c. Generators are used to provide power in cases where there is no power. One of the most popular uses of generators is at homes during extended power outages. However, portable generators are also used to provide RVs with power, but also to provide power at construction sites. If you plan to use a generator to power your home during a power outage, users need to ensure they find one that is safe to use with sensitive electronics.
There are two main types of generators stationary and portable generators. The difference with these two generators is that stationary generators stay in one place, such as outside the home. Portable generators can be moved from one location to the next because of how small they are compared to the larger stationary generators.
Another difference between these types of generators is the wattage, stationary ones can often power an entire house plus the central air and heating because they put out anywhere from 6,000 to 12,000 watts. Portable generators can be used to power up certain appliances inside the home, such as the furnace fan or a window AC unit; they can also be used to power up a variety of smaller devices inside the home. Portable generators can put out anywhere from 2,500 to 6,000 watts of power.
Something else to think about when purchasing a generator is the type of fuel being used for the generator. Majority of portable generators are gas powered, but users can also find diesel-powered generators or propane powered ones. Propane-fueled generators are the cleanest burning generators and can be run off the same type of propane tank used to fuel a grill. Gas powered generators are more common, but they do tend to stink. How long each generator can run depends on the size of the fuel tank and the size of the load.
- 1 Must-Have Features of the Best Generator For Camping
- 2 Top 5 Best Generators For Camping Reviewed
- 3 1. DuroMax XP4400E 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start– Best RV Generator
- 4 2. Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable 2200-Watt Inverter Generator – Best Small Budget Portable Inverter Generator
- 4.1 Should I buy Briggs & Stratton 30651?
- 4.2 3. Yamaha EF2000iS 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator – Best Small Portable Inverter Generator
- 4.3 Why The Yamaha EF2000iS is the Best Inverter Portable Generator
- 4.4 Let’s run through some of the points in detail that makes the Yamaha EF2000iS the top of its class.
- 5 4. All Power America APG3014 2,000 Watt Portable Generator– Best Quiet Portable Generator
- 5.1 The All Power America APG3014 At A Glance
- 5.1.1 Why the All Power America APG3014 is the Best Budget Portable Generator
- 5.1.2 More About The Manufacturer
- 5.1.3 Starts Smoothly For Reliable Use
- 5.1.4 Stroke Engine Means More Convenience
- 5.1.5 Run APG3014 for 9 hours straight
- 5.1.6 Light and compact
- 5.1.7 Ensuring no one gets annoyed…
- 5.1.8 Any Complaints?
- 5.1.9 The Bottomline – Is the All Power America APG3014 For You?
- 5.1 The All Power America APG3014 At A Glance
- 6 5. Westinghouse WH7500E Gas Powered Portable Generator With Electric Start
- 7 Should I buy Westinghouse WH7500E?
- 8 6. DuroMax XP 10000E Portable Generator
- 8.1 Product Features of DuroMax XP 10000E
- 8.2 Should I buy DuroMax XP 10000E?
- 8.3 How to Choose the Best Generator For Camping
- 8.4 Portable Camping Generator Categories
- 8.5 Best Portable Generator Types of Usage
- 8.6 Recreational vs Emergency Portable Generators
- 8.7 Best Portable Generators For Camping Shopping Tips
Must-Have Features of the Best Generator For Camping
- Low Oil Shutdown – The generator should have a low oil shutdown feature because it prevents the generator from running without enough oil. The shutdown option is better than an indicator light because it will not allow the generator to run at all, so no accidental damage can occur to the engine. The lights or alerts will still allow the generator to run and can damage the engine.
- Idle Control – This is a big feature to look for because it allows users to reduce the amount of noise put out by the generator, but also can help users save fuel. How this works is the idle control allows users to adjust the speed of the engine based on the electrical load being used. Some models come with a smart-throttle mode or economy mode, which adjusts the speed on its own
- Fuel Gauge – Allows users to see just how much fuel is left, which lowers the risk of the generator running out of gas. The fuel gauge also helps remind users to check the oil because oil should be checked every time fuel is added.
- Spark Arrester – This needs to be approved by the US Department of Agriculture or the US Forest Service for generators that are going to be used in the outdoors, such as camping. This spark arrester can help prevent fires from the generator.
- Decibels – How loud the generator is will depend on what you choose, but also on what you plan to use it for. Generators are available in decibels ranging from 47 to 79, but average about 75 decibels. To use a generator while camping it cannot be more than 60 decibels from 50 feet away.
- CARB Compliant – These generators are environmentally friendly, so they can be sold in all 50 states. If they are non-CARB complaint, they cannot be sold in CA.
- Wattage – The most important feature to look at is the wattage that is being produced, but users should realize that the manufacturer provides is under perfect conditions, they don’t take variables into account. The amount of wattage users need will depend on how they plan to use the generator. If using it for a house the bigger the house the higher the wattage
Knowing about the must-have features is important when choosing a generator because it ensures users will pick out the best possible generator for their current needs. However, knowing about the most popular brands is also important. ETQ is one of the more popular brands, but none of their generators are CARB complaint.
The propane generator is one of the most popular ETQ models currently available. Honeywell and Yamaha are two other popular choices in terms of generator manufacturers. Both of these manufacturers make gas-powered generators in a variety of different models. The Honeywell HW6200 puts out a maximum of 7750 watts of power, but is not CARB complaint. However, the Honeywell HW6200L offers everything the Honeywell HW6200 does and is CARB compliant.
Top 5 Best Generators For Camping Reviewed
1. DuroMax XP4400E 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start– Best RV Generator
The DuroMax Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start is the right choice for users who need a backup portable genset due to frequent power outages or even users who need some extra power while they are camping. One thing to keep in mind with this generator is that the load it can handle, which for most people the load is fine.
This generator is rated to handle 3,500 watts of continuous running power with a 4,400 surge at startup. However, when testing out the generator I found that it does start to bog done with the bigger loads. If you are only drawing up to 2,500 watts the generator works perfectly, both voltage and frequency are fine. However, if you go above 2,500 watts the frequency is fine, but the voltage drops to about 110V, which is fine for most homes. Up to 3,300 watts the voltage drops a bit more, but so does the frequency, if using this range only use the generator for a short period of time. Anything over 3,300 watts, the generator cannot really handle it, it really bogs down, and the engine shuts off.
- Electric start – One of the best things about this device is the electric start, which means I no longer have to sit and pull start the generator. The electric start uses a key to simply turn the engine over. However, for those that prefer the pull start, you can also find a model available with a pull start.
- Wheel Kit – The wheel kit is a huge bonus because the wheels and front handle make moving the generator a piece of cake. Without the wheel kit there is no way possible to move it unless you wish to carry it from one location to the next and it easily weighs more than 100 pounds.
- Low Oil Shut Off – Rather than having an indicator light or an alert if this machine runs low on oil the engine will automatically shut off. The shut off is a better feature because it truly protects the engine from any damage caused by running it while it’s low on oil. With the lights or alerts, the engine can still run and become damaged, especially if the user forgets to fill up with oil.
- Idle Control – One thing that other generators have a problem with is idling at high RPMs. This machine comes with an idle control that ensures the RPMs are always at a constant level, no matter how heavy the load is. This helps reduce the noise of the engine, but also ensures that fuel is burned efficiently.
- Bolts work loose – The biggest problem I have had after using this generator is the bolts sometimes work themselves loose from the frame due to the vibrations. Luckily, this is something that is easily fixable; I simply tighten the bolts back up. Routine maintenance is recommended to spot any loose bolts before they fall off.
The DuroMax XP4400E is equipped with a heavy-duty steel frame that comes with isolated motor mounts to help keep the motor’s operation quiet. This generator has a 3.2-gallon fuel tank that comes with an easy to read gauge, which allows the generator to run for a total of 8 hours. The power panel on the generator is easy to read and comes equipped with a circuit breaker, engine shutoff switch and all of the power outlets.
2. Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable 2200-Watt Inverter Generator – Best Small Budget Portable Inverter Generator
These days with the weather being what it is, most homes opt to have an inverter as a standby to help them get over what would have been a difficult time. It is here that the Briggs & Stratton 30651 2,000 Watt Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator may be the perfect answer to our problems. They have been in the field for over a decade and have proved their worth in the manufacture for power equipment. The Briggs & Stratton 30651 has computer controlled technology which automatically adjusts the engine speed. Another great feature of this product is that it in Non-CARB compliant.
While most people and homes prefer to use a regular portable generator system, they might not have heard about the inverter type of generator systems yet. The main difference of an inverter system is that it has mechanisms which automatically adjust the motor speed depending on the load on the generator. If you have less appliances running, the motor slows down, therefore reducing also the consumption of fuel. This kind of system is put in place in order to help reduce costs in the long run, and this is what the Briggs & Stratton company came up with by releasing its latest inverter generator model, Briggs & Stratton 30651 1,600 Watt 105cc Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator. This model is one of the more powerful inverter generators that Briggs & Stratton have come out, and they made sure to improve it from the previous models and put a whole lot of innovations and safety features in this new one. Now there might be a lot of questions about the efficiency of an inverter generator like this one, but many buyers and consumers of this product so far have good reviews to tell about it. More than having a backup emergency power source in case of need, they are able to save on costs in the long term, so this is a perfect combination for a portable generator system. This is an investment worth putting your money in.
Briggs & Stratton 030473 Features & Specifications:
This Briggs & Stratton model number 30651is actually a gas-powered portable inverter set. Small as it may seem, this baby packs a punch in terms of maximum power output. Most inverter systems of the same level as this product can pump up to 1000 Watts of power, but this one is capable of continuous 1600 watts. If you ask why it is so small compared to the bigger generators which can do as much as 4000 or even 8000 watts, well, it is because these invertors are built only for emergency power for basic items in homes and in the office. It is not exactly designed to provide for the whole home. You can keep a ref or a TV running with this one and maybe some lights, but a whole house is out of the question. The idea for inverters was initially planned to be more for the campers or RVs who don’t have a permanent power supply in their vans. But let us check out the specs for this portable inverter and why it is perfect for emergency power in any case.
- Product Dimensions: 19.5 x 11 x 17 inches
- Weight: 50 pounds
- Computer controlled inverter technology automatically adjusts engine speed to run quieter and reduce fuel consumption
- Two 120 volt 20 amp AC outlets, one 12 volt DC outlet
- Low-Tone muffler reduces noise and minimizes vibrations for un-obstructive operation at close quarters
- Non-CARB compliant
- Energy saving and fuel saving for the long term.
- 2000 watts continuous power output.
- Digital control system helps automation be more efficient.
- Sleek design and space saving.
- Perfect for outdoors or emergency power needs.
- Not CARB approved. Cannot be sold in the California area.
Should I buy Briggs & Stratton 30651?
If it is temporary power that you need to last you for hours while electricity is being restored, then an inverter generator like the Briggs & Stratton 30651 is perfect for this. This is a perfect investment for such, and it is also going to help you save up on fuel consumption and costs eventually. Though not built for large area consumption of heavy duty use, this is about the perfect generator for sudden emergency power needs or even when you are out on camping or picnics.
For the quick power needs like short brownouts and you need that light to work at home, or run the tv for news, or keep the ref going to prevent food from going bad, then the Briggs & Stratton 30651 1,600 Watt 105cc Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator is perfect for the job. At such an affordable price, you are sure to get the best quality for a power generator system. Most other inverter generators don’t come as sleek and as efficient as this one, and considering the name of Briggs & Stratton, foremost in the industry, then you have yourself a winner of a portable generator unit. If you are to answer the title question, then this is actually as good as it is pegged to be. All you need to do is get one and see why others happen to really love this inverter generator from Briggs & Stratton.
3. Yamaha EF2000iS 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator – Best Small Portable Inverter Generator
The Yamaha EF2000iS At A Glance
- 2,000 Watt Maximum AC Output/1,600 Watt Rated AC Output
- Super-quiet muffler with USFS-approved Spark Arrestor
- Smart Throttle varies engine speed based on load
- Inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control
- CARB Compliant
Why The Yamaha EF2000iS is the Best Inverter Portable Generator
The EF2000is is made by well-known manufacturer Yamaha, and the quality associated with the Yamaha brand really shines through. This is a sturdy but portable unit, weighing in at just over 50 pounds when full of fuel and oil, making it one of the more lightweight portable generators. Its oil-watch warning system means you won’t have to worry about engine damage due to running the unit at low oil levels. The unit’s super quiet muffler and glass wool construction absorb a lot of noise resulting in a portable generator that is incredibly quiet at all speeds. The startup is quick and easy and the one-gallon tank lasts between 6 and 10 hours depending upon load.
For camping enthusiasts like myself, the choice of a portable inverter generator is an important one. Choose an unreliable model and you are likely to be skulking through your camping trip. On the other hand, the smooth-running one will provide hours of entertainment and enjoyment, supplying precious power as and when you need it. When researching on which model to buy, I found that the selection of inverter portable generators can be rather limited as compared to large portable generators.
Let’s run through some of the points in detail that makes the Yamaha EF2000iS the top of its class.
Reliability and Japanese Quality
This is one of those products where if you purely compare the price against other 2,000 Watt portable generators you might choose something else, but if you are comparing reliability and quality then you could never buy anything else. After all, you just want a portable generator to work, no matter what the situation and this unit will certainly do that.
The noise level produced measures in at a mere 62 decibels (dB) so the quietness you’ll experience with the Yamaha EF2000iS can be said to be one of the highlights of this impressive product. Even at full speed you can stand about 6 feet away and have a normal conversation without raising your voice and can continue talking on your cell phone. The “eco” setting lowers the engine throttle and noise when full load isn’t required. At half-throttle or less, from about 6 feet away it is about half as loud again, which makes it amazingly quiet. This can mean the difference between being able to use it without disturbing neighbours, campers, boat owners and so on. Do bear in mind that a few decibels softer can truly make a whole lot of difference since humans perceive an increase in 5 dB of noise as almost two times as loud.
Starting it Up
Once you receive the portable generator, you just need to fill it with oil and gas and started it. It is rare to need more than one pull of the starter cord to get it started but the Yamaha EF2000iS scores for its quick and easy start-up. It is helpful that all controls are on one side on an integrated simple control panel. The fuel gauge is easy to see and read. The fuel system is easy to drain and dry for storage. Despite weighing around 50lbs when loaded with fuel, the large carrying handle makes it easy to transport.
Clean Energy for the Most Delicate of Devices
Built around an innovative inverter system, Yamaha EF2000iS portable generator delivers electricity that is cleaner and higher in quality than its competing generators producing energy by way of Sine Waves which is more reliable than other commercial power sources. This enables the unit to power the delicate machinery without worrying about the damage brought about by unrefined energy. Sensitive electronics can be used safely with the Yamaha EF2000is thanks to its inbuilt inverter, so you can use those laptops, iPods and televisions with confidence. It includes an overload breaker for damage prevention in case of overload.
The Bottomline – Is the Yamaha EF2000is Right for You?
The Yamaha EF2000iS easily emerged as my top choice, based on performance and reliability. What’s more, you’re guaranteed of quality from a popular manufacturer, Yamaha. Price-wise, it can be a little expensive for those who don’t intend to use it often but hey, you get the quality you pay for. My promise to you is this – once you’ve experienced the convenience of having your very own portable inverter generator that runs like a dream – you’ll find yourself yearning to head out more often – at least I did.
If you’ve prided yourself in purchasing good quality products, Yamaha EF2000iS Gas-Powered portable inverter generator won’t disappoint. powerful, portable, and efficient, delivering high electrical output without affecting the portable design of the generator. If you add in the fact that the Yamaha EF2000iS comes with a two-year warranty then it is difficult to think of a better portable inverter generator.
4. All Power America APG3014 2,000 Watt Portable Generator– Best Quiet Portable Generator
The portable generator we will be reviewing, the APG3014 is very much aimed at the budget end of the market. It must be one of the cheapest portable generators I’ve seen – but don’t let the price fool you. Even though it is at the lower end of the market and doesn’t have a lot of the features that generators retailing at a slight higher amount, it is still a competent little portable generator.
This small generator is perfect to keep on hand just in case you lose electricity for a short period of time. If you live in an area known for tornadoes, ice storms, and other weather emergencies, then you will need either multiple small portable generators like this one or one big solid one that has at least 4000 watts of power. This because this little generator only has two 120-volt receptacles for you to plug into. This ensures you can keep your food from spoiling and keep your family fed until your electricity is restored. This generator is mainly suited for light recreational use, and not so much of being an emergency portable generator – you may want to consider one of the larger generators if you intend it for emergency power.
The All Power America APG3014 At A Glance
- 2,000 Watts Surge/1,400 Watts Continuous
- 3 HP 4-Stroke Engine
- Runs 9.5 hours at 50% load
- Low Noise at 68dB
- Non-CARB Compliant/Not For Sale In California
Why the All Power America APG3014 is the Best Budget Portable Generator
The All Power America APG3014 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Generator does everything it should do and at a great price. Whether you want to use it for home power outages or for outdoor use, you will really like the lightweight, which allows it to be moved around easily. If you add in the low gas consumption then we are talking about a very good solution to your power needs.
Even with that low price tag, it features a four-stroke engine that gives out a respectable 3HP. This APG 3010 features an oil shutoff switch that protects the unit from overheating. It also has an incredible operational output rating of just 56%. This means that the unit operates at only 56% of the engines capability to maintain the load, which gives it better fuel economy and a longer engine life than other engines that have to work harder to give equivalent results. All of the switches on this portable generator are easy to read and conveniently placed on the power panel.
More About The Manufacturer
All-Power America is a power tool and equipment manufacturer with origins in China. They started exporting products to the United States back in 2005. They also produce pressure washers, air compressors, and various power equipment such as electric saws, drills, sanders, etc.
All Power America is a relative newcomer having only been marketing their portable generators in the USA since 2005. They sell a vast range of other power tools in addition to portable generators so we did wonder if this unit would match up to the build quality from a dedicated portable generator manufacturer.
Starts Smoothly For Reliable Use
After filling it with oil and gas, it starts on the first or second pull. Once up and running it will run smoothly. It is rated at 1400 Watts continuous power with a maximum load of 2000 Watts, so 1400 Watts hundred is the figure to use for continuous use. This is really one of the smallest and cheapest generators that will still run just about any 120V item. There is more than enough power to handle starting a motor such as a freezer during a power outage.
Stroke Engine Means More Convenience
Many small generators being sold are only 2 strokes, this means you have to premix gas and oil in a separate container. Not the APG3014, it comes with a 4 stroke engine so you won’t have to worry about having to premix your fuel. The need to premix gas and have a specific can for your generator is certainly a hassle that is avoided, and being 4 stroke the APG3014 will last longer than a 2 stroke. For camping or construction work you can easily take it right out to where you need it.
Run APG3014 for 9 hours straight
The tank can accommodate 1.3 gallons of fuel every time. The generator also turns itself off when it has detected that the fuel is not enough anymore. With a full tank, run time is about 9 hours at 50% load. That’s a long run time of you consider how small this generator seems to be.
Light and compact
In terms of design, the All Power America generator is very compact. If you need a power source when you are going camping or boating or visiting a remote area, this will fit into your truck without hassle. The rubber feet will prevent it from moving from its place due to the vibrations.
Ensuring no one gets annoyed…
Another benefit is that if you are using this for camping, or in-home emergency use, this machine is also very quiet, producing just 68 dB of noise. It will not keep you awake at nights, and will not disturb any peace and quiet you are indulging in. The fuel gauge is built right into the fuel tank allowing you to keep a close eye on the fuel level.
There are only two drawbacks to this portable generator – first, it is EPA approved but is not compliant with California state emissions laws and hence not CARB compliant. The second drawback is that this unit is may be underpowered for some. It says that it is a 2000 Watt generator on the label but it provides 2000 Watts of surge power and only 1400 Watts of continuous power. Aside from a few complaints about this unit not being quite as powerful as some people would like, there were many more reviewers that were thrilled with their purchase of this portable gas generator.
This generator is easy to use, simply add oil and gas and it starts right up. It runs smoothly and fairly quietly. One reviewer stated that when using this generator he runs a 1000 Watt work light, drop light, portable radio and DVD player all at the same time. If you’re looking for a portable gas generator that can run 2000 Watts continuous then the All Power America APG3014 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke will not be quite powerful enough for you but if 1400 Watts or less is suitable, this is an excellent generator at a very affordable price and at a 1-year warranty
The Bottomline – Is the All Power America APG3014 For You?
The All Power America APG3014 generator gets the most praise for being small and portable yet very reliable. This is a rather lightweight unit at 64 pounds, so you will be able to move it from one area of the home or in and out of storage without pulling it on wheels or struggling to get an over-sized unit around corners. You can pick it up and go. It makes an ideal choice for anybody that wants the many advantages of a portable generator without paying the higher price for a name brand.
You may be thinking now, you should fork out more money for portable inverter generators? You should if you are a camping veteran or someone who intends to power more than heavier devices such as multiple power tools like drills and saws. But if you’re just looking for a small budget generator to power up small appliances like your lights or television, then this is a winner.
All in all, this is a no-frills workhorse that is a good solid portable generator, but not a great one. So if you want a cheap generator and don’t mind missing out on the features found in more expensive portable generators (we’re talking up to up to 5 times more expensive) then this one might just be the right one for you.
5. Westinghouse WH7500E Gas Powered Portable Generator With Electric Start
When looking for a portable generator to fit your needs, there are a whole lot of considerations like the wattage of your appliances at home, what are the things you really need when in case there is a power outage and so on. And as for the specific kind of portable generator you will get, you have to think of power output, safety, portability, and of course the long-term fuel costs you will have to shoulder in case you do get a generator set. If your computed wattage consumption is within the 7500 to 9500-watt range, then the Westinghouse WH7500E 9,500 Watt 420cc Gas Powered Portable Generator With Electric Start is the perfect choice for you to get. Westinghouse is a famous name that has been in the electricity industry for over a century now, and if they come up with electricity generating devices, then for sure you are to get your best deal by getting their products. Their name goes with quality and also the assurance that you will have the safest most energy efficient device with you.
Westinghouse WH7500E Features
- A 420cc XP Series Westinghouse engine.
- One touch electric start ignition.
- Can provide an output of 7,500 running watts with maximum starting output of 9,500 watts.
- All-steel control panel with full enclosure for increased durability.
- EPA approved and certified for its emissions compliance.
- High-efficiency alternator coupled with low-loss laminations that can increase electrical output
- 3-year limited warranty
- Rolling frame with no flat wheels for easy portability.
- Maintenance-free 12 Ahr battery, which delivers reliable electric starting.
Such reliable features can only be seen in a Westinghouse portable generator, and this model, the Westinghouse WH7000E certainly lives up to its name as a very reliable and efficient portable generator system.
- Reliable Westinghouse XP series engine
- One touch ignition
- Increased durability, especially the new steel control panel.
- High energy efficiency, low fuel consumption.
- Compact and space saving.
- Three-year warranty.
- EPA approved and certified.
- Not CARB approved
Should I buy Westinghouse WH7500E?
With a lot of positives and only one negative in the feedback report, you can certainly say that the Westinghouse WH7500E 9,500 Watt 420cc Gas Powered Portable Generator With Electric Start is a worth it product to buy. Not only does it guarantee you the quality from the name Westinghouse, but you are assured of long-term savings at such an affordable initial price. The value of this machine lies in the power it can generate, which is almost at the level of the more expensive portable generator system sets today. This is certainly a good buy so there is no reason to doubt about it anymore. It is worth every cent and penny spent.
Even with a whole lot of competition for portable generator systems, the Westinghouse WH7500E 9,500 Watt 420cc Gas Powered Portable Generator With Electric Start can give any brands and model a run for their money. In terms of power, it can generate more for the same priced gensets. And with the name of Westinghouse on the line, you will never be disappointed. They have been in this industry for more than a century, and that says a lot about this product from the get-go. Imagine getting a high powered generator, fuel efficient system, great portability, and long-term durability and savings for a portable generator? That truly is the best combination, and you will find it all in the Westinghouse WH7500E 8,500 Watt 420cc Gas Powered Portable Generator With Electric Start system. It certainly will be able to compete well against the other similarly priced generator sets, and with more things to offer too.
Product Features of DuroMax XP 10000E
When you get the DuroMax XP 10000E Portable generator set, you are investing in more than just a machine, you are investing in your future too. But first, let us take a look at some of the features that this machine has that will say it is worth every cent and penny spent on it.
- An 8-gallon tank capacity that can easily run for more than 8 hours depending on where it is used
- Exclusive DuroMax RV Switch (voltage selector) which will allow for maximum power output from each 120-volt receptacles.
- 8000 Running Watt continuous with as much as 10000 Watt Startup power capability.
16.0 Horsepower Air-cooled OHV engine.
- Two 120 volts outlets for appliances and two 240 volt outlets for high powered machines. Also has a DC outlet for device chargers and battery chargers.
- Energy efficiency – EPA Approved
- Spark arrestor with a quiet exhaust system.
- Low Oil automatic Shut Off control.
- Heavy duty frame and wheel kit for long-term use, durability and increased portability.
- Voltmeter gauge to monitor generator outputs with matching 33 amp circuit breakers
- One year warranty.
- Both for heavy duty use and light workload use.
- Multifunctional with all kinds of power outlets (120 volts, 240 volts, and DC outlet)
- Capable of running for more than 8 hours at any given time for 8 gallons of gas.
- EPA approved meaning it is an industry-standard machine.
- Portability and flexibility of use.
- Much more quiet than conventional generator sets.
- Safety systems for both fire and low fuel help keep your home safe too.
- One year warranty
- This model is not CARB-compliant. Generator units sold in California must be CARB-compliant.
- Other than the above-mentioned CONS for this product, there is no other significant thing worth mentioning which makes it a more positive machine with more benefits as compared to deficiencies.
Should I buy DuroMax XP 10000E?
People choosing to buy generators initially take a look at how powerful a machine is and how much power it can generate to help support a home and a business in case of a major power outage. The DuroMax XP 10000E certainly lives up to the name with regards to power and efficiency. Basing from the specs mentioned above, you will be sure that if you buy this product, you will not only have a generator set, but you will have a definite investment that is geared to work for you in a long-term basis. The answer to this question should be a definitive YES, and you should not have any doubts as to its efficiency and value for your money.
While most other generator systems simply focus on power output, the DuroMax XP 10000 E portable generator set does more than give you power; it also has safety and portability put into consideration so as to make sure you get the best out of your money spent for this machine. At a quick price check, it may range from 900 to 1000 dollars a unit, but considering its ability to be used for a heavy-duty status and its maximum power output, you will be sure that the money is all worth it. Homes and businesses will certainly be off better having a backup power generator like this in their midst. If you check out reviews about this product, you will only find a lot of positives about it, and that speaks highly of this product, enough hopefully to convince you that this is the generator system set that is definitely worth the buy.
How to Choose the Best Generator For Camping
There are four factors that you should think about before you can determine the Best Generator For Camping for your needs. A bad judgment on any of these four factors may cost you hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars on the wrong one; you may end up with one that consumes too much fuel (which you can’t afford) or one that will fizzle out in an instant (if you buy one that is too incompetent for your needs).
1. The Power Needed
Portable generators come in a wide range of power capacity so it is wise for you to get something that adequately fit with your wattage needs. You can determine the wattage requirement easily by going online and search for a wattage calculator. Add up the power usage of every appliances and lights so that you can determine how much of power your generator would need to generate at maximum usage.
For our house, we can get by with a 1000 watt generator when the electricity is down. Turning on the television set, a laptop and printer, and a few incandescent bulbs would total up to about 300 watts during the night.
2. The Cost of Fuel to Run It
If you’re using gasoline, propane or diesel to run the generator engine, figuring out what the fueling cost would be like is important. Do also remember that fuel usage is closely related to the runtime of your portable generator. Make sure to check the load size of the fuel tank to estimate the approximate run time of the portable generator. You would want to aim to use 12 – 18 gallons of fuel daily.
When you already determine the perfect combination of the two factors above, do a little bit of market research and compare all portable generators available online and in the stores near you. The best portable generator would always generate you the needed amount of power, allows you optimum usage of fuel and also be economically priced.
4. Noise Factor
Now, noise pollution may seem to be a bit trivial, but believe me, it does matter. Take me as an example. Before I was married, I lived in an apartment building where it is prone to blackouts. And since I could not live in the heat without a fan, I bought myself a small portable generator – which was way too loud for its size. Yes, I was able to stand the heat but I could not even shut my eyes to sleep with that thing on. I bet you can just imagine how many complaints I got from my neighbours.
On the other hand, if you live in a neighbourhood where the houses is at least a few feet apart, the noise would not be a big factor. Or if you would only be using your best portable generator during emergencies like during hurricanes and snow storms, I would think that the neighbours would have other things to worry about than the noise coming from your generator.
Below is the list of four important factors in choosing the best portable generator for yourself:
Portable Camping Generator Categories
As you consider your wattage needs, it’s helpful to know that portable generators fall roughly into four size groups:
- Small: Under 3500 watts
- Mid-Sized: 4000-7000 watts
- Large: Above 7000 watts
- Small Portable Generators (under 3500 watts) – At the top end, these can keep a few appliances running simultaneously during a power outage, such as a refrigerator, several lights and a computer or TV. For electronics, the safest bet is an inverter generator, which maintains consistent power and prevents electrical surges that can damage computers and televisions.
- Mid-sized Portable Generators (4,000-7,000 watts) – Enough for extended emergency use for a 1,200- to 3,000-square-foot house. The exact size needed will depend on how many appliances you think are essential to run simultaneously.
- Large Portable Generators (above 7000 watts) – The most powerful portable generators can be up to 10,000 watts and can provide backup power to larger homes.
It is recommended that you compare portable generators by running (continuous) wattage — the watts the generator can produce on a continuous basis. Maximum or surge wattage shows how much extra power the generator can provide for a short time, to start motors or large appliances like air conditioners, for example. Be advised: Most brands put the maximum (peak) wattage in the model name, which can be misleading so be sure to look for the smaller value of running wattage instead.
Best Portable Generator Types of Usage
For someone who loves bringing himself and/ or his family on an RV trip around the country, a portable generator comes in handy when I need to have some sort of electrical energy despite finding myself in the middle of nowhere. There are many things that I did not know about portable generators prior to writing this blog. One of those things is the types of usages of portable generators. They are basically divided into three types of usage: emergency, professional and recreational.
If you tell my kids that there were no electricity centuries ago, they would be mortified to know that children did not watch Sunday morning cartoons or have the luxury of opening up the fridge to get a Popsicle. It goes to show that the modern world is very much powered by electricity.
Supposed that there is no electricity in your area due to some disaster. The unavailability of electricity will cause you a lot of problems; food would get spoiled, the security system is inactivated and if you rely on a well pump, water would be limited. That is why an emergency portable generator is good to have in your home all the time.
Depending on how much electricity you would need during the electricity outage, the best portable generator size would range from medium (3000 to 6000 watts) to large (10000+ watts). If you need to power a few appliances during the power outage, a medium portable generator will do the trick. A 7000 to 9000 watts generator will be required if you need to actuate several rooms in the house. However, this will not support a centralized AC unit. You would need a much powerful portable generator for that.
You would often see these kinds of portable generators on construction sites. Depending on the size of the work, the best portable generator for professional use would be very much like the ones used for emergencies. However, they are in general much more durable than their home emergency counterparts so that they can withstand the rough environment associated with construction sites.
Recreational portable generators are small, have low power consumption level and do not produce a lot of noise as compared to the types of portable generators used for the situations above. They are usually around 1000 to 2000 watts, which will allow you to use a couple of appliances at most. If you think you would need to power up a few more, a slightly larger one would suffice.
I personally use this when I go out on the RV for a tour across some states or camping with my kids. These portable generators allow me to bring a little home comfort while being on the road while being respectful to mother nature. It keeps my kids sane by allowing them to watch some TV shows while at the same time being quiet and do not use a lot of fuel.
Personally, I think each home would need to have the best portable generator they can afford in hand, especially if you live in a place where it is more likely to get blackouts at night. It will ensure that you are kept warm in your home and keep you safe by ensuring the security system is working alright.
Recreational vs Emergency Portable Generators
Recreational generators are great for tailgating or camping. A power outage, however, is no picnic.
Small recreational models will only power an appliance or two. Plus, you’ll need to refill their small gas tanks every few hours. We recommend purchasing a portable generator specifically designed for “Emergency Power” that have at least 4000 watts.
Best Portable Generators For Camping Shopping Tips
When choosing a portable generator, you should consider these additional factors:
CARB compliance means lower emissions. Portable generator engines that meet California Air Resources Board (CARB) requirements are the most environmentally friendly.
Acceptable sound levels depending on the situation. Portable generators’ noise levels range from 47 to 79 decibels, with an average of about 75 decibels. For camping, note that the National Park Service requires sound levels no higher than 60 decibels at a distance of 50 feet – not to worry, all the generators reviewed above meet these criteria. Hope with this guide you will be able to buy the best generator for camping.